The Shambles Inn Lutterworth Leicestershire. Pub Restaurant Accommodation




The History of The Shambles Inn





The Shambles Inn is a former abattoir and butchers and is the oldest timber-framed building in Lutterworth a historic thatched roof property dating back to the 16th century, it was a first used as a public house in 1791 until 1840 it was then converted back to a home and butchers shop. In 1982 it was converted back into a public house and named the Shambles.


Although the building has been tastefully modified over the years and most recently underwent a major refurbishment in 2014 it still retains it's rustic charm with solid wall and low ceilings and beams and a welcoming log burner for the cooler weather.


Lutterworth itself sits at the centre of England and for century's has been at the centre of the national road network, now the M1, M6 and A14 are all within 6 miles. In times gone by it was on the principal coach routes, even back to the Roman times when the Fosse Way and Ermine Street passed near by. The name of Lutterworth is probably derived from the Old Norse name "Lutter's Vordig" meaning Luther's Farm and it was mentioned in the great Domesday Book of 1086.The town was granted its Market Charter in 1214 by King John and continues to hold a market to this day every Thursday.


For more information on Lutterworth, have a look in the on-line encyclopedia Wikipedia,

St Marys Church Lutterworth

St Marys Church


| Copyright © 2018 | The Shambles Lutterworth | All Rights Reserved | g2web |GDPR Privacy Statement

The Shambles on Facebook